Josh Self is founder and owner of Joshua Self Photography, and is a professional photographer that specializes in photography for weddings, special events, head shots for actors, models and professional business people, and fashion and portrait photography. He has over 5 years of studying photography, lighting and composition for portrait as well as product, nature and landscape. He started out on film and learned everything the hard way and has since moved on to professional Nikon DSLRs. He still uses a few vintage cameras like his Yashica -D TLR and Holga medium format film cameras when feeling "artsy".
Josh is also the founder of Suction Horse Productions, a video / audio / multi-media production company specializing in short films, video presentations, interviews, video slide shows and music video. SHP also does digital audio recording for demos and singer / songwriters. He is an accomplished videographer (MiniDV, DVCam, and others) and short film director (see accomplishments below), and is also a trained hand held and jib-crane camera man ( for concerts and speaking events.
YES, THERE'S MORE! (I know, you can't believe it, right?)
Josh is also an accomplished blogger and writer and has been using social media and new web technologies for over 3 years to build digital relationships and has become a "go to" person for people that know him for his knowledge of web resources and social media
Josh and Suction Horse Productions made many short films and documentaries, a few of them receiving awards during 2003-2008. Now Josh is an accomplished wedding photographer, having photographed a variety of styles of wedding and engagement photography. His favorite style is photo-journalistic as he loves to capture his subjects just as they happen and likes to find interesting angles on the small details that most people would ignore. To book his photography services click here.
More about Josh
Josh recently started writing for the uber-popular hyper-local blog The Terminal here in Birmingham, AL and also is one of the staff photographers. He currently writes restaurant reviews, news, and new openings and closings along with the occasional political or entertainment editorial and is also the correspondent for the Highway 280 / Inverness side of town.
Some minor accomplishments:
- Won awards for "Best Director", "Best Production" and "Best Cinematography" for the winter 2007 Sidewalk Scramble short film "38mm"
- The documentary "How I Get Down (The True Story of Grandpa Bill)" that Josh produced and co-directed was accepted and played at the 2007 Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham, AL.
regularlysemi-regularly since 2004 on his blog The Horse. (a nerd, geek and technology blog)
- Started The Wedding PhotogBlog in 2008, as a resource for wedding photographers both new and experienced.
- Speaker and presenter at 2007 Birmingham PhotoCamp
- Venue manager for over 3 years with Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham.
- Worked as 2nd Assistant Director for award winning short film "Piece of Cake" starring Mo' Rocca.
- Worked as a stand-in and extra on the Sony Pictures film Talladega Nights.
- Worked as a production assistant on the music videos for Marvin Sapp "Never Would Have Made It" and also Jake Owen "Don't Think I Can't Love You".
- Worked as an extras wrangler and production assistant on Bill Bellamy's Who's Got Jokes? Cable TV show.
- Currently main crew, camera and jib-crane operator for Mountaintop Church's weekly TV show.
- I work for The Cheesecake Factory, so some bias may be expected
- I work and shoot for The Terminal
- I'm on the advisory board for Birmingham WordCamp
- I'm a conservative leaning libertarian (if it matters)
- I use Amazon Affiliate links to point to some of the products that I talk about.
- I use Commission Junction affiliate links on my site, but I personally endorse all of the businesses that I link to.
- The Wedding PhotogBlog is hosted by GoDaddy, I am also an affiliate for their product.
- I am an affiliate for the Pure Digital (now owned by Cisco) "Flip Video" camera.
- If you see a Google Adsense ad, as you may or may not know, I do not personally choose these ads, Google picks what it thinks is best for my site.
- I'm getting married to the love of my life, Andrea on June 27th, 2009.