A recently found copy of Action Comics #1 was put up for auction today by Metropolis Collectibles, on the online auction site ComicConnect.com. Only about 100 copies of the first Superman comic are in existence and most copies of Action Comics No. 1 in "fine" condition go for about $126,000 at auction, but this one is expected to go for much more according to an AP story on MSNBC Today.com.
Quotes from WWII Forums members (members are WWII vets or family/friends of vets)
Heroes are honest human beings who didn't intend to be heroes but even without thinking about it, just take action for others when it's needed.
It takes a brave man to stand up for himself,
But it takes a braver man to stand up for someone else.
Someone who knowingly recognizes the risk that he or she faces in carrying out a certain course of action but still goes ahead and does it, purely for the common good.
Someone who sees what needs to be done and willingly does what others will not while expecting nothing in return.
I would consider these people to be a reliable source of knowledge on heroism and who we should consider heroes.
Is America losing its sense of who and what is a hero?
The liberal media is painting Obama and the Clintons as Heroes. But would you say that Obama meets the above definition of a hero?
Some discrepancies in my opinion would be:
- Obama doesn't recognize the risk that he is taking and how it will impact future generations or he DOES recognize the risk and doesn't care.
- To me Obama is trying too hard to "look like" a hero by trying to please too many groups, and people at time and in effect pleasing no one and bringing more government control and spending to the picture.
- Saying one thing and doing another by saying he opposes earmarks and pretending to be fiscally responsible, and then passing the most fiscally irresponsible bill in American history.
Some of my heroes are people of compassion that help and give without expecting anything in return. Missionaries, (some) religious leaders and pastors. People that genuinely care about souls and lives instead of their own personal gain. I think that we can compare Superman's characteristics with what a hero should be these days...
Characteristics of a
- work in disguise
- come from humble upbringings
- don't brag about their accomplishments
- save lives
- defends the innocent
- makes the right decisions when tough decisions need to be made
- takes action when called upon
Now go bid on that Action Comics #1!
(Photo by Dunechaser from Flickr)