December 3, 2008

Top 10 Christmas Songs you love to hate while shopping and eating

<---(This is our Nativity Scene this year with all God's creatures!)

It always happens around this time of year. This year it started 3 days before Thanksgiving. You know what I'm talking about... Those darn Christmas songs. Especially the songs that you are forced to listen to as you are out shopping and eating in restaurants. I am especially sensitive to this because I work in a restaurant and am blasted with the same 10 - 20 songs ALL DAY! Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Scrooge or a hater and I'm all about singing praises to the Lord about the birth of His Son Jesus, just mix it up a little! So, in that spirit here is a list of my top 10 most annoying Christmas songs:

  1. Jingle Bells - Barbara Strisand (the caffeinated version)
  2. Hey Santa - Wilson Phillips (uhhggh! I hear this at least 7 times a day!)
  3. Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt
  4. Baby, It's Cold Outside (Vanessa Williams' version) - Margaret Whiting and Johnny Mercer (I agree with everyone who calls it the Christmas date-rape song)
  5. Rockin' Around The Chirstmas Tree - Brenda Lee (1958) (Nobody "rocks" around the Christmas tree... what does that even mean? Annoying nonsense)
  6. Happy Holiday - Bing Crosby (1942) (More annoying nonsense: "whoop di doop and dickery dock..." nuff said)
  7. Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney (I just hate this song because of bad song structure...it doesn't have a chorus. Just "Siiiimply haaaaaaving a wonderful Christmas time" over and over...)
  8. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause - Jimmy Boyd (1952) (from Wikipedia) The song was commissioned by Neiman Marcus to promote their Christmas card for the year, which featured an original sketch by artist Perry Barlow, who drew for the New Yorker magazines for many decades. Jimmy Boyd's record was actually condemned by the Catholic Church in Boston when it was first released on the grounds it mixed sex with Christmas.[citation needed] Boyd, aged thirteen, was widely photographed meeting with the Archdiocese to explain the song.
  9. Marshmallow World - Darlene Love(?) (more nonsense that has nothing to do with Christmas)
  10. My Favorite Things - The Von Trap Family (I actually like this song but, is this really a Christmas song?)
What are some of your "love to hate" Christmas songs? Lets see if we can get some more interesting ones. Also comment on a few that are your favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment