January 5, 2009

Resolutions and Promises for the New Year


If you could make one resolution this year that would be guaranteed to come true, what would it be?
Lose weight? Earn more money? Travel? Learn a new skill?

We all have our New Years resolutions. Its a good time to "start over" and think about your goals for the following year. What if I told you that you could guarantee yourself success in any of these areas? Listen to what these guys said:

"Doing what you love is the cornerstone of having abundance in your life."
- Wayne Dyer
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
Thomas Edison
"Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more you sweat, the luckier you get."
Ray Kroc

The best effect of any book is that it excites the reader to self activity.
~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Follow their advice and you are GUARANTEED to achieve your goals.
  • Love what you do: You will never get traction in your goals if you don't like doing that thing. Do you enjoy working out or exercising? If not, is there a way to make it fun for yourself and make it a habit that you will enjoy?
  • Put some muscle into it!: Nothing worth having is free, or even easy for that matter. Want to make more money with your photography business? Put some time and energy into making a great portfolio, create and run an ad for your business in: a local newspaper, Facebook, Google AdWords, make business cards, network...
  • READ!: all you can about the subject you want to learn about. Learn from other people's success and mistakes. Then take that model and add to it using your own style or flair.
With that in mind, I still usually make a few modest goals at the beginning of the year to just keep pushing myself a little bit more. So here are mine for 2009:
  1. eat better and lose 20 lbs.
  2. design and set up JSP (Joshua Self Photography)'s website and gallery for my wedding photography business.
  3. start up "WaiterGossip", a new blog and website for all restaurant industry employees. (more info coming soon).
  4. start up a new photography blog on Blogger (DONE! Check it out...)
  5. Start writing more short stories and screenplays on Storycrafter.
  6. Revamp my photography portfolio
  7. Revamp my wedding photography portfolio
  8. Start a new ad and marketing campaign for JSP and get at least 5 weddings this season.
  9. Pay off 2 credit cards
  10. Plan our honeymoon road trip.
  11. Get married!
  12. Save $20 / week
So, yea... looks like I got a little ambitious. I'll use this as a list to mark off as the year goes by. I know, now that I've written them down, that I can't just sit around watching Entourage and X-Files all day, I need to do something productive.

I also want to quickly thank all of my new readers for checking out The Horse. I will strive to provide some entertaining, or at least readable information that you guys can use this year. I know its gonna be a good year! Woot!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment